Goal Setting is Important…and S.M.A.R.T.
Goal setting is very powerful, if done right. If you are good at setting goals, and sticking to them, then you have a higher chance of achieving great results. If you are failing to set goals, then you might have a trust issue with yourself. Keeping commitments increases our confidence within ourselves, allowing us to achieve amazing results.
Often not achieving our goals is because we set unrealistic ones. So, how do we set realistic goals and achieve them? We do this by setting S.M.A.R.T goals.
S.M.A.R.T. goals are:
- Specific (simple, sensible, significant)
- What do you want to accomplish?
- Why is this goal important?
- Who is involved?
- Where is it located?
- Which resources or limits are involved?
- Measurable (meaningful, motivating)
- How much?
- How many?
- How will I know when it is accomplished?
- Achievable (agreed, attainable)
- How can I accomplish the goal?
- How realistic is the goal?
- Relevant (reasonable, realistic, resources, results-based)
- Does this seem worthwhile?
- Is this the right time?
- Am I the right person to reach this goal?
- Time-framed (time-based, time limited, time-sensitive)
- What can I do in six months from now?
- What can I do in six weeks from now?
- What can I do today?
By focusing on smaller, short-term goals, we have a higher ability to achieve success. Set your goals based on the S.M.A.R.T principle so you have the best chance of achieving your goals.
If you would like to learn more about how this might apply to your business, let’s talk: