Finding the Best Talent
“Acquiring the right talent is the most important key to growth. Hiring was – and still is – the most important thing we do.”
– Marc Benioff, Founder, Chairman and co-CEO of Salesforce
Today’s job market is competitive. Many businesses are experiencing challenges in finding good candidates to fill open positions. Two factors affecting the job market are trends that preceded the pandemic and shifts in the way people are thinking about work as a result of the pandemic.
Demographic Changes – a rising number of baby boomers and Gen X workers are retiring, a trend that may have been accelerated by the pandemic.
Job Hopping Is Acceptable – There is no longer a negative stigma associated with changing jobs every couple years, so employees don’t feel they must stay with a job for the long term.
Absence of Career Ladders – There are fewer opportunities for development and advancement in some companies, making those positions less desirable and setting the stage for increased job hopping.
Appeal of Working from Home – Many job seekers want remote-friendly positions and are looking for companies that are willing to be flexible on this issue.
How to Attract the Best Talent
To attract and retain stellar employees in this job market, you need to make a positive impression on job seekers. By the time they talk with you, they may have already looked up your website and checked out your social media accounts to learn about your company and what it might be like to work for you.
Here are some steps you can take to send the right signals to potential job candidates:
- Highlight key advantages of working for your organization in your job ads and other communications
- Clearly define the benefits of the roles you are trying to fill
- Ensure your core values are reflected in all touchpoints, from your hiring ad to your website and at every stage of the hiring
- Streamline your hiring process. If you delay interviews and screening, you may lose a good candidate to another opportunity
- Demonstrate that you invest in employees through training and education
From the writing of a job ad to the interview and screening stages to onboarding practices, I can guide you through processes that ensure you will attract and retain the best candidates.
If you would like to learn more about how this might apply to your business, let’s talk: